Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Out by Natsuo Kirino
















Out by Natsuo Kirino

I loved this book.

It's the story of four women who work in the suburbs of Tokyo on the night shift at a boxed lunch factory. They all have different backgrounds and stories, but they are all discontented with life...and all need to get 'out'.
Inevitably one of them snaps and strangles her abusive husband. The others then slowly become involved in disposing of the body...dismembering it and disposing of it in garbage bags around the city...
As the police investigate, suspicion falls on a local nightclub owner with a dark murderous past of his own. Released from jail he seeks revenge on the women he suspects of commiting the crime...

This book is not only gruesome and terrifying in places, but is also poignant and heartbreaking.
The lives of these women, trapped by circumstance and convention, is moving.

Highly recommended.

Thanks to Grenadine for reviewing Grotesque ...as a result I ordered Out from the library and I'm waiting for Grotesque.

8 comments:

Bellezza said...

At first, this book reminded me of the Dixie Chicks' song "Earl's In The Trunk." Although, never owning the song, that was a rather lighter hearted version of becoming free than this sounds.

THIS book sounds amazing! I can't wait to read it. I've heard accolades about it from many bloggers, but never such a compelling review as yours.

Why, or why, does school have to start tomorrow and infringe on my reading time? :)

Lynda said...

Hope you make time to read this...
I haven't geard that Dixie Chicks song...will try to do so ;0)

Robin said...

Ooo, this sounds really good. I've heard the title mentioned numerous times, but didn't know what it was about. I'm putting this one on my TBR list. Thanks!

Ana S. said...

Sounds very dark, but in a good way. One more for the wishlist.

Bellezza said...

I think we should make this a choice for Carl's RIP Challenge if a.) he holds it again and b.) I can wait that long to read Out.

Terri B. said...

I'll have to come back and read your review later. I just started reading my copy last night. I think I will like it!

Iliana said...

I tried reading this one a while back but I don't think I was in the right mood for it. So I'm going to attempt it again for this challenge - glad to hear you liked it!

tanabata said...

I loved this too when I read it a couple years ago. I'm planning to read Grotesque sometime soon.